Mindfulness for Teens:
School, Exams & Social Media
A new mindfulness club for teenagers in Standlake, Witney.
Studies have proven that regular mindfulness practice actively changes the brain’s structure to be calmer and more resilient all on its own, actively reducing stress around exams.
Mindfulness meditation is the skill of paying conscious attention to the present moment, often using the breath, without judgement and with kindness to ourselves. It teaches us the ability to accept and sit with difficult feelings in the same way that we can with happy ones. With regular practice over a number of weeks, our brain can learn that it is ok to be in the present moment, whether that moment is nice or unpleasant, without panicking about the impact on the next goalpost or exam.
This is a new club designed especially for teenagers experiencing stress at school and in exam terms. In a small, supportive and confidential group, we learn some basic meditation techniques and over time build a set of habits for resilience and calm during school life, social media pressure and exams.
Each session will include learning a practical meditation technique to practice, group chat exploring a different element of our relationship with stress, our thoughts and feelings, and a lovely relaxation session at the end.
Hot drinks and biscuits included every week.
The sessions cover the following topics and themes:
- What are we missing? Automatic pilot & social media
- Checking in with now: Body scans and breathing
- What’s happening with your thoughts?
- Building an action plan for school and exams
DATES & LOCATIONS
|DAY & TIME||LOCATION|
|Term-time club||Mondays 8-9pm||Standlake Youth Hut|
JOIN WAIT LIST
for 4 weeks
|Standlake Youth Hut|
Standlake Youth Hut (down the path opposite the school), Church End, Standlake, OX29 7SG
£80 per half-term which includes:
- 6 x hour-long sessions in a small, safe group of maximum 4
- All course materials, including a bank of guided meditations to take away
- Support between sessions, including a private facilitated Whatsapp group
- Development of a personal action plan for everyone
- Hot drinks and biscuits each week